|Yeah, so, about that lack of information...|
It appears there is more in the Alpha Data Client than was perhaps first apparent for those wanting some Garrisons news. Wowhead have been poking data files overnight, and there's quite a lot of interesting information to be shared.
Your Garrison will have three plot 'sizes' (small, medium, large) with each of those (presumably) having a selection of different 'shapes'. There are four styles of small plot, with three styles of medium and large, which should provide a measure of individuality when designing layouts. The Mine, Farm, Fishing Hut and Pet Menagerie all have their own specific plots, presumably meaning they will be consistent for every Garrison. [EDIT: There is also a suggestion from a datamined map file that your Town Hall and your Mine will be in the same place regardless of location, but this could just be that only one map currently exists. Watch this space.]
There are twelve 'specialisations' currently active in the Alpha files, which correspond to (presumably) abilities that the player will unlock as their Garrison increases in size and complexity. Some of these appear to be purely cosmetic in nature whilst others point to 'quality of life' improvements for Garrison resource production and player convenience. The 12 are listed here verbatim from Wowhead's original post:
- Show Posts: Enables you to stable five more mounts at the stable for public display.
- Mount Trader: A rare mount trader has taken up shop at your garrison stables building.
- Recall Portal: Allows you to abort a current mission and immediately bring followers back.
- Headhunter: Recruit a random follower with a specific Trait, Ability or Role for 10 Material.
- Blackrock Chef: Enables access to garrison cooking dailies.
- Blackrock Mining Cart: Grants a chance to discover Blackrock Mining Carts full of extra ore.
- Orchard: Plant an orchard in your garrison that will produce rare fruit.
- Exquisite Skinning Knife: Increases the hourly skin gathering rate by 10%.
- Gemfinding: Mining nodes in your garrison mine have a chance to produce rare gems.
- Mass Teleport: Removes travel time for the first mission every day that requires 5 followers.
- City Travel: Provides access to portals that grant transport to cities other than Orgrimmar and Stormwind.
- Mechanical Picker: Automates harvesting of herbs from the garden.
There's some big reveals in this group: the Garrison will have Dailies (YES THEY HAVE NOT VANISHED \o/) and there will be SPECIAL VENDORS allowing people like me to spend hours grinding for new mounts (it's okay, I'm used to this.) Also, Specialisations will have a direct effect on the resource production rate of your Garrison (bonus to skinning, rare fruit and rare gems) whilst at the same time opening up additional functionality such as portals or faster gathering rate for resources. Finally, where was that Mechanical Picker in Halfhill. EH?
Only 3 Missions exist in the Alpha Client files. As this is pretty much the major component of building/progression, this will go some way to explaining why Garrisons got the rather limited billing they received in the Patch Notes. Needless to say, this will be what's being worked on currently and what we'll see appear in subsequent Alpha and Beta builds.
There have been some (understandable) changes from the initial Blizzcon announce. The full list of buildings in the Alpha Client are as follows:
- Alchemy Lab: Reagents and 'interesting' Alchemical wonders. Creates materials for Alchemy, and stores them.
- Armoury: Storage/Maintenance of arms for the population
- Barn: Houses the animals that provide the Garrison with leather, meat and cloth.
- Barracks: Houses your military forces and followers.
- Enchanter's Study: Creates materials for Enchanting, and stores them.
- Engineering Works: Creates materials for Engineering, and stores them.
- Fishing Shack: Bait, tackle and DAILY QUESTS.
- Gem Boutique: Creates materials for Jewelcrafting, and stores them.
- Herb Garden: Growing herbs.
- Inn: Recruit new followers, access to Cookery Dailies with Specialisation.
- Lumber Mill: Provides building materials for Garrison.
- Mage Tower: Provides 'useful magic' (probably passive buffs,) unlocks new Missions.
- Menagerie: PET BATTLES AND PET MISSIONS \o/
- Mine: Diggy, diggy hole :D
- Salvage Yard: See below.
- Scribe's Quarters: Creates materials for Inscription, and stores them.
- Sparring Arena: FIGHT TO THE DEATH. He's Sparticus /points ^^
- Stables: Mount display, speed bonus, unlocks Missions.
- Tailoring Emporium: Creates materials for Tailoring, and stores them.
- The Forge: Creates materials for Blacksmithing, and stores them.
- The Tannery: Creates materials for Leatherworking, and stores them.
- Trading Post: SELL ALL THE THINGS, BUY ALL THE THINGS. No AH though :P
- Workshop: TBA :P
|GIEF MOAR LUMBER!|
This list gives the first indications that 'Professions' inside the Garrison will be self-providing: the Barn will give three 'raw materials' for use, as will the Herb Garden, Lumber Mill and Mine. For each major building, there are three 'abilities' listed, which I am going to assume correspond with each tier being unlocked. For instance, if we look at the Alchemy Lab:
The Alchemy Lab creates a variety of reagents and interesting Alchemical wonders.
- Generates a batch of Alchemy reagents daily, and allows production of Alchemical items. The building can store at most one batch at a time, and new batches are only produced if free storage space is available.
- Now stores up to two daily batches worth of Alchemy reagents.
- Unlocks Specializations, and ingredient capacity increases to a maximum of four daily batches.
I think it is fair to assume that the standard Tier 1 Bonus is a daily production rate. When you 'upgrade' to Tier 2 that storage rate doubles, and with Tier 3 it then doubles again. This appears to be the case for the Enchanter's Study, the Engineering Works, the Gem Boutique, the Lumber Mill, the Mine, the Scribe's Quarters, the Tailoring Emporium and the Tannery. Unlocking the Storehouse however appears to give the ability to increase that storage capacity further:
- Enables new Logistics missions, and increases the storage of daily batches or shipments on every other Garrison building by 1.
- Enables access to your personal bank, and increases the storage of daily batches or shipments on every other Garrison building by 2.
- Unlocks Specializations, and increases the storage of daily batches or shipments on every other Garrison building by 3.
Personal bank access is new, and something of a surprise. I'm sure it won't be the last one we see with this feature.
There are also some interesting new additions to the building list: the Trading Post suggests you will be able to gather raw materials from other areas for specific crafts in your Garrison. The passive mount speed bonus will be useful if we're all on the Ground for a while, and answers the question many had of if we would be compensated for losing flying speed. The Storehouse will 'transmute' Salvage into Material and subsequently Material into Gold, but what is not apparent is if this is then a way for you to make real money to spend in the game world or simply a 'gold' currency for the Garrison. Certain buildings control the flow of Missions (like the Mage Tower) whilst others are simply there for Material production (such as the Herb Garden) It's also possible your Fishing Shack will be required to purchase the speciality bait required for catching Draenor fish we discussed yesterday. I'd also not discount seeing more daily quests being introduced via these means in future Warlords patches.
Needless to say, I take back what I said yesterday. There's a TON of stuff here to pour over, it just took a while to dig it out. MASSIVE props as a result must go to Wowhead without whom I would not now be wheeling around my conservatory, shirt on my head, celebrating what looks like a MASSIVE new feature with tons of expansion potential.