Blizzard announces proposed changed to Professions.
If you read here reguarly you'll know just how important professions are to me and the Family. To say I'm pleased to read what's being trailled here in Cataclysm is something of an understatement. It's apparent that Blizzard are finally grasping the significance professions have in game, especially in relation to wealth generation and utility for non-Raiding players. I'm especially pleased by the following changes:
- Specialisations removed from Leatherworking, Blacksmithing and Tailoring (but not from Alchemy) and all reciped useable by anyone with the skill. About bloody time, especially with the lower level BS and LW items. Now all we need is some actual useful items across the class ranges at the lower levels.
- 'Superior-quality items that require more materials than other recipes in the same skill range provide multiple skill-ups. For example, if a recipe takes three times the reagents, it will give you three skill-ups.' Oh yes. About time too, especially if those items are a pig to grind. The random stats changes are good too, especially as they will (no doubt) fit in with the changes to stats on gear across the game anyway.
- PvP Recipes, that upgrade as each new season appears. HOORAY! Make them BoE please. There's a major earner, right there, especially with rated BG's...
- 'New Mysterious Potion created with common materials restores health and mana in a massively random range, as well as sometimes granting the benefit of another potion. The health and mana range is from 1-20,000 and is able to crit.' Hmmmm... 20,000 health, you say? Am really rather glad I levelled a second Alchemist now, especially with the changes to Elixirs.
- 'Jewelcrafters will have some fun new (and potentially lucrative) vanity items, including fist weapons, rhinestone sunglasses, monocles, and stardust (sprinkle on players for entertainment)' It's interesting to notice that Blizzard are pushing the 'sell your wares' potential of Professions far more now than at any point in the past. After all, if you can make your own cash, why bother buying it from a Gold Seller? It does mean that the Bankalts will be far better dressed too than at any point in the Game thus far...
- 'There won't be a new Lotus equivalent in Cataclysm. Alchemists will use the more reliably-found Volatile Life to create the new high level flasks.' Interesting use of the phrase 'reliably-found' there. As Volatile Life is now available from any plant, it will certainly make the process of flask-creation a lot less hit and miss. I assume as well that as Frozo the Renound is such a popular guy in Dalagran that we'll see a way of exchanging one kind of rare drop for these things as well.